Originally Posted by Reticuli
Originally Posted by messyhead
Originally Posted by Reticuli
May the force be with you, but I don't understand why all the flyable side-by-side-seating helos in EECH that don't have authentic pits of their own right now in the meantime just don't use either the Kiowa or Hokum cockpits, with like the HUDs disabled or something if they don't have that. Why do they use the original Apache cockpit by default?

The original Apache cockpit is the default cockpit. So when fly any helo was added, they made it use that cockpit. It's not meant to be realistic, and I don't think making a 2 seat cockpit the default for those types would be any better.

Well, there's only one aircraft that should have the Apache A pit: the Apache A, obviously. Why couldn't all the side-by-side flyable helos get one of the already-finished cockpits of that type prior to them getting their own unique, authentic cockpits? Are there any other helos besides the Apache A that's using the Apache A cockpit currently that's a tandem helo? Maybe put the Kiowa pit on the US side-by-sides that are still needing unique pits like the Blackhawk & Osprey and the Hokum pit on the Russian ones like the Helix?

Edit: I guess the Super Cobra is the only tandem helo that has the old Apache pit. I can imagine the Zulu pit working fine with that, and maybe with the side stick removed.

The one advantage I can think of off the top of my head to NOT do any of this would be that some people might want half the helos to have a simple, low-framerate pit like the Apache A if they have too much of a framerate drop on the more advanced cockpits.

I suppose the real reason it's not been done, is because no-one's bothered to do it yet. Changing the cockpit isn't a trivial task, even just replacing the default with another one takes changing in lots of code, and also renaming the 3D model. The default cockpit draw methods are all different from the 3D cockpit methods as well.