I wasn't sure where to go with my build coming in. My thoughts at first were to go stealth and cyber. Sneak around, use tech to overcome the enemies and environment. But at this point I'm a tech gunner, using rifles and SMGs mostly, backed by handguns and grenades. I took all attributes to base 6 for the low level perks, and now am focusing on reflexes and tech. I agree you don't want to be too spread out, but I think that makes a solid base so you can get most of the entry-level perks even if they aren't in your specialized trees. Things like faster crouched speed, additional carry capacity, regeneration and the like will benefit any build I reckon. A base of 5 would do the same thing and leave more points to climb other trees.

I think it's good to identify a couple trees to take to level 20 to focus your build, but not to neglect the others as there are useful abilities in all of them.

If I hated the combat I would have gone a different route, and if I were to play again I will. But for this first run, a gun for hire feels good.

I like reading about which perks and items you guys find good, so hope to read more of this stuff.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!