Originally Posted by DBond

And the comments about combat. We've been talking about it, but I hadn't had any chance really to gauge the combat AI. This review says the gunplay is fine, but the AI is poor. That's a big problem if true. It loses appeal if the targets just stand around and die, or run toward you in a easy-to-aim straight line. This is my gripe with Outer Worlds, that the AI is so basic and lacks any diversity or nuance. Things like taking cover should be minimum expectations at this point. Games like FEAR came out 15 years ago and that sort of AI should be standard by now at least.

Yes, FEAR was impressive for so many reasons. It was the first shooter I played where I distinctly remember the AI using flanking tactics to attack you and like you said, the smart use of cover to avoid your return fire. I haven't had a chance to read the review you linked to but did the author say how many hours he put into the game?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”