Here's a look at your arrival:

[Linked Image]

First order of business is to "unforbid" all the items on the map you want or need that are currently forbidden. Colonists cannot pickup or haul anything marked forbidden, so you have to enable them all. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind it, but it does give you the option to keep or ignore items, so maybe that's the point.

Setting up each colonists work priorities is another task prior to unpausing. Highest priority is 1, lowest is 9 (via mod, 4 without). They will do any 1 priority tasks available first (from left to right on the list) then 2, 3 etc. You want your most skilled pawn set at higher priority for most tasks, esp things like "Doctor." Low skilled doctors can botch things up and kill people. Cooking is another example - a low skilled cook can give food poisoning. Low skilled construction workers can botch a job and cost you the material for the build.

[Linked Image]

Also visible in that picture is the construction I have planned. The map I landed on had some ruins I was able to claim - they will form part of my colony buildings.
Items will deteriorate if they are kept outside, so I have to build a room and create a storage zone in it for items to be kept out of the elements. That is the building in the upper part of the picture.
The one in the lower will be a barracks for now. Eventually I will build separate bedrooms for each pawn and repurpose that room.

Pawns have needs and their mental well being needs to be taken into account (the reason for the private bedrooms). Pawns may go into a mild break (ie sadly wandering around the compound, or following another pawn and hurling insults) if they get pushed too hard. A major break might entail them having a tantrum and smashing things in their rooms, or breaking items in storage, or even attacking other colonists. Besides the obvious downsides, while they are in that state, you cannot control them, so if you get raided or need to draft them for some reason you cannot.

[Linked Image]

Lastly, here is a look at the stats for my pawns. None are perfect, there are some annoying quirks (not hauling is one that really annoys), but they had good stats and hopefully will work out well. The flames next to certain stats indicate a passion for that work. Pawns with passion will improve that stat faster as they do it. For that reason, it makes sense to have a lower skilled but passionate pawn handle a job you have a better option for in the short term.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Attached Files 20201122100918_1.jpg20201122100919_1.jpg20201122100921_1.jpgday 1.jpgneeds.jpgwork.jpg

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein