I completed that game - built the ship, staved off a number of attacks over the 15 days it took the power generator to spool up, and launched my colonists homeward.

I decided to start a new game, so I'll write it up as I go.
You start by picking your scenario - I'm going with "Crashlanded."

[Linked Image]

Then your "storyteller" - the AI that controls random events for your colony. You can change any aspect of this at any time during the game. There are also mods (Rimworld is HEAVILY moddable) which create new storytellers.
I'm picking Phoebe, which will be a new one for me. I've been sticking with Cassandra. Phoebe is a little more intense but at greater intervals between events. Supposedly.

[Linked Image]

Once your world is generated, you choose your landing spot (or pick random). I'm still new to the game, so I'm picking a temperate forest to keep things a little easier.

[Linked Image]

Finally, you pick 3 out of a given 8 colonists. They each have different stats in terms of abilities/tasks they can accomplish as well as quirks - both positive and negative.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

There is a mod called "Prepare Carefully" which lets you tweak any of the colonists as you would like. I didn't use it for any stats on the colonists I wound up choosing, but I did alter their appearances.

Attached Files world.jpgchar 1.jpgchar 2.jpgchar 3.jpgchar 4.jpgchar 5.jpgchar 6.jpgscenario.jpgstoryteller.jpg

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein