All great points, and while I've already given my "two cents" on the topic early on in the thread - thought I would pop in with an extra cent worth of commentary (three cents?) - namely:

If you are running AMD vid. cards, either on PC or Mac configurations, you will be well served with the upgrade from the UE to the PE ed. of WOFF. For the UE ed., while I had to keep terrain shadows off, and cloud shadows/density, also texture glossiness, set to about a value of 3 - to get rid of flickering - upgrading to PE solves those problems. Running terrain shadows now at a value of 2, cloud/shadow density and texture glossiness at 6 - and not a single flicker but smooth sailing (I mean flying).

(Further note: For those running WOFF on the Bootcamp side of your Macs - with AMD cards - also check the ver. of drivers you are using (I'm currently on ver. 17.x.x and doing fine, with ver. 1809 of Win10 and locked down). You may have to experiment with different ver. drivers for the AMD cards if running different setups and/or vers. of Win10. At any rate, I recommend avoiding those unofficial/"beefed up" variants of drivers for AMD if getting smooth flying in WOFF on standard drivers.)

Happy flying,
Von S smile2

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~