This is one of the many missions made by Mongoose that are included with the recent update to the CFS3 Battle of Britain mod - details available on the CFS3 forum over at Sim Outhouse. It represents the famous low level raid by 9 Staffel, Kampfgeschwader 76 on the RAF sector station at Kenley, south of London, on 18th August 1940.

To save us the trouble of flying all the way from Cormeilles-en-Vexin, the mission starts in mid-Channel. I'm leading six Dornier 17s. There's another kette of three up ahead, as it happens, so we have the full nine aircraft that flew the real raid. This is my aircraft, skipping across the waves.

[Linked Image]

And there are the others, barring one who's off to my left, out of shot.

[Linked Image]

We're actually carrying the markings of KG3, geschwader code 5K. KG76 used F1. Still, it's a nice skin.

[Linked Image]

Enemy coast ahead!

[Linked Image]

The real raid made landfall near the white cliffs at Beachy Head, where they were observed and reported by Observer Post K3, atop the cliffs.

[Linked Image]

We've hardly reached land when we come under ground fire. Or perhaps sea fire; not visible in this pic is some shipping, behind us. In real life, the first shots fired at 9/KG76 came from patrol boats.

[Linked Image]

Just inland, the first waypoint comes up and I begin to turn left. Up ahead, the three leading Dorniers are just visible as they make the same turn.

[Linked Image]

Kenley here we come!

...to be continued!

Last edited by 33lima; 10/24/20 09:14 PM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)