I'm probably not the only one contemplating a new build so I thought I'd throw this out on the forum so any interested parties can benefit. RAF_Louvert's recent thread has got me thinking about options, including copying his build outright (sadly with just the one 2070Super)

It's been 5 years and my current rig is showing it's age a little. I can still run WOFF at 2K with nearly maxed settings. (See attached screenshot) although last night I flew over the battle of Poelcappelle at 12,000 feet and things got a bit choppy. 1918 isn't that far off in the current DID campaign, and WOFF 2020, its time come round at last, slouches toward Flanders Fields to be born. thumbsup I'm using NVidia inspector to drive my graphic settings at 4x AA and 16x AF, but that's a separate convo.
My recent upgrade to a 32" 144hz monitor has smoothed things quite a bit, and the X-Rite i1 DisplayPro Color Calibrator has been nearly life altering given how much time I spend staring at this screen.

Current machine:

CPU - i5-6600K OC'd to 4.4 GHz
MOBO - Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero LGA 1151 Intel Z170
RAM - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z370
GPU - ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG Strix OC Edition
System drive - Samsung 950 M.2 256GB SSD (waaaay too small. It's a struggle to free up even 60GB of space)
Storage - WD Black 2TB
PSU - Corsair TX 650
Monitor - LG GK32850F 144hz (Freesync 2 but runs GSYNC)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (build 19041)

*** EDIT - New build on page 2 of thread HERE

Clearly I will need a new build at some point soon but is there any sensible upgrade left to this rig, besides a more powerful GPU?
I actually had my eye on the RTX 2070 Super which Louvert has doubled up in his recent build but suspect it would be massive overkill with my current CPU. OTOH, if I'm going to use a 2070 Super in the new build, does it make sense to get one now to improve the current rig.

My goal is a build to last/be upgradeable for the next 5 years.

Attached Files Oct 2020 WOFF settings.jpg
Last edited by epower; 12/31/20 03:59 AM.