**** For those of you following Oliver’s tale the current DID Deep Immersion Campaign, I suggest reading the latest entry Here before continuing. For the rest, proceed as you will, dear reader.

At long last I can tell the tale. It’s been killing me to keep this under wraps for two months while my chronologically challenged DID pilot made his way to the appointed date and time for the book’s reveal.

As part of the ongoing DID Deep Immersion campaign I’ve been down the rabbit hole researching 54 Squadron for my current pilot. More of a mine shaft now, actually. Not long ago, I found treasure, not just the usual knowledge but something tangible.

Copies of 54 Squadron’s famous songbook, Cinquante-Quatre are tough to find, especially the first edition printed June 1917. There’s a scanned copy at the University of California, viewable here:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.31175035252413&view=1up&seq=1

Lyrics by Francis John Morse. Croix de Guerre. Educ. Winchester. Squadron leader RAF. Solicitor, Chairman, Steward & Patteson. Died 1971.

Illustrations by Edward James Yzenhoed Grevelink. Bedford School. Sandhurst. Wounded at Ypres, 1915. Joined RFC July 1916. KIA June 6, 1917.

Recently, I stumbled on a first edition for sale. It was in rough shape and I vacillated until I looked closer and saw that it included the program from the squadron farewell banquet at the Grand Hotel, Birmingham on December 8, 1916! Click. Sold. Explain extravagant purchase to SWMBO later.
Here are photos of the Banquet Program:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

To whet my appetite while the book shipped from the UK, the seller (Shoutout to Rainford and Parris books!) sent me additional pics. When I saw this last one, my jaw hit the floor and I had to walk around the house to calm down.

[Linked Image]

Lt. Percy Goodbehere joined No. 54 Squadron on 24 June 1917. This was his book. On 22 October 1917, he collided with squad mate Lt. George Cowie, west of Beerst. Cowie was killed, Goodbehere spun down, survived the crash landing, and was made prisoner. Ltn. Max Ritter von Müller, Js28 claimed both as victories. Goodbehere died in 1967.

Ironically, I’d seen his picture before in the Sutton glass plate collection. He was with the 5th Manchesters then. That site alone is worth a look. Link Below:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pastonglass/albums

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Royal Aero Club Certificate

Last edited by epower; 09/02/20 01:56 AM.