Originally Posted by MrJelly
Let me explain simply smile
The classic case is "South Pacific Air War". It was the first theatre deliberately constructed for carrier battles in single missions.

This is not correct.

SPAW was configured to work for both single mission AND campaign mode. We took extraordinary effort to produce historically accurate campaigns that covered 1941-42 with the Guadalcanal campaign and 42-44 with the main campaign. Squadron names, squadron airfield assignments and plane types are accurate.

Don't forget, at the time we did not have the ability to switch plane sets with minimal effort the way we do now so a lot of thought was given as to which planes to include. The final mix was historically accurate down to things like switching F4F's for F4u's very late the Guadalcanal campaign. Same with different models and colors of the Zero. (BTW, this reminds me that the inclusion of a green Zero in the V1 slot was a big deal since the V1 slot had a bunch of unmanned rocket code that kept it from being used by flyable aircraft. This was one of many "first time" experiences that came with the original SPAW)

We also included a couple of non-historical "what if" type planes but we edited the campaign files so that the player wouldn't have to engage these. This may be where the confusion comes in because these planes ARE available in single mission model or, using the old pilot editor you could start a campaign in one of the historical planes and then after one successful mission switch to one of the "what-if" planes.

The later version, SPAW2019FC, is less dependent on the us, the producers, because it allows for an unlimited number of Pacific plane sets or even playing with a set of European planes in the Pacific environment.

That said, for the most part the plane sets I produced for SPAW2019FC do adhere to the same mix of planes as the original. So, for instance the player will find fighters, dive bombers and level bombers in the same slots no matter which time frame is picked. This means the campaigns will work properly with these plane set because many of the campaign files need to see the appropriate plane type in specific slots.

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.