A Painted Ocean site

Command a Napoleonic-era man-of-war. Sail the oceans of the world.

*Featuring*

-Square-rig sailing physics
-The whole world to sail in, with a year of real winds and weather
-Frigate vs frigate battles

Your ship is HMS Alpha, a 38-gun 18-pounder frigate of around 2000 tons displacement, with a 150-foot hull and a crew of 300.

*This is a release of an unfinished project*

What is done is the simulation of the ship, the control system, the world, basic weather and combat. There are unlikely to be any major new features added, but see the devlog for plans for the future.

I stumbled upon this little game awhile back and just tried it out today. From what I've seen so far this is a cool little project. The game has its own exe so it doesn't install to the computer. It runs nice and I like the simplistic look and apparently it used physics too. I only tried the at port scenario to go through the tutorial and its pretty tough for me right now. Adding to the challenge yet very cool is the author's use of real sailing boat parts and terms. So going through the tutorial not knowing what is what, I waited to see the animation happen to know what is being spoken about. There is also a lot going on here with regards to the sailing simulation. My first and only attempt so far had me getting pushed back by the wind and hitting the land sideways. At first things were nice and slow so I could have time reading the tutorial but once things got going it got out of control quickly. I gave the helmsman a sailing order and eventually the ship cleared land and made it back into the middle of the bay only to get caught in a pocket of circumstances some how so that I just sat at an angle without forward movement. I eventually saw the rigging either snap or get blown by the wind and a few seconds later I listed to the side and eventually sank. I'm going to attempt to tinker around and figure this thing out because I imagine it will be quite satisfying once you get going and can more or less sail freely. Its modeling a bunch of different things too like wind and weather.

I haven't tried combat yet but you can Tab to each ship and fight yourself. I think if I can figure this little game out it could be quite therapudic but right now I don't think my crew trusts me lol. I love the detail and I think this might teach me some sailing terms and ideas but its pretty complicated right now. Maybe after some time with it I'll get better. ahoy

If anyone tries this, after starting the game through its .exe before the game launches, hold the shift button which brings up the options first so you can adjust your resolution. I also had a crash but only after I had sunk but the game alt tabs easily enough and can be shut down and restarted.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg
Last edited by Coot; 05/27/20 04:18 AM.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13