Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo

I guess I decided to do it because I wanted to have a chance to find something unique, or at least interesting. I haven't been landing on a ton of sites, nor have I even scanned down a lot of planets, so my chances of finding something like that are kinda small I guess! My procedure has been to scan the system and see what kinds of planets are in it. If it has an Earth-like, water, or ammonia world I'll stop and map them. If it has metal content worlds and I'm in the mood I'll stop and map them as well. If not, I'll head out to the next system. I'm kinda making it up as I go. Maybe someone with more experience can give me a different approach?

That's essentially how I go about it too. I'm glad you bring up visiting sites. So much has been added to Elite that I'm clueless about. But I'd like to find exotic and rare things. Like I hear about shards and I don't even know what that is. What are the types of places an explorer will want to land on to find these things?

I spent the morning getting Mad Hops ready in case I decide to do this. I have room for a size 2 or 3 AFMU, but I think back to the Palin trip and I never hit anything, took no damage of any type aside from the integrity loss that comes from repeatedly jumping. Speaking of this integrity loss, is it to modules or hull or both? I should pay closer attention. If I add a AFMU I'll have to do something about the power plant as she's right on the edge now. Do MRPs protect modules from things like heat damage or is it just for combat damage?

Anyway, here's Mad Hops as she sits now. I scrapped the clean drives it had and swapped over to dirty, which gained about 70 m/s. Lightweighted a lot of stuff, and put a hangar in. This kills the jump, adding six tons. I used to say I had a 70 light year DBX, but not in this configuration. Still pretty good jump.

Mad Hops

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!