Keepass database and Owdrive - Still a good solution to store encrypted password files, etc.

Where and How to get a safe encrypted solution for file storage online particularly to store for example critical data, web passwords etc. so you can access anytime in a jam and "Sync" to other devices.

First let me say I use Linux Mint Operating system.
For making my own encrypted data file I use the free progrm KeypassX
https://www.keepassx.org/
It is basically the alternative for Keepass, which is practically an industry standard many people use.
There are tons of download versions / alternatives posted at this url for Keepass, KeepassX, etc. :
http://keepass.info/download.html

Many Linux Distros include it also as available in repositories.

Now to store the data file or files I use a free online storage solution:
https://owndrive.com/

Owndrive is the same technology as Owncloud. But is not Owncloud it is a private host.
There re free as well as paid options. I use the free options now for almost ayear with no problems ever.
It uses uses an Owncloud client available from the site.

It has both a web interface as well as sync client for both Windows, MAC, Linux as well as smartphones Apple IOS and Android.
https://owndrive.com/sync-clients/

All you do is set the Owncloud sync client to my.owndrive.com
its real easy.

The avantage of Owndrive is the Additional Web Interface. You can log in from the internet just like any web service and access you files anytime also.
Very useful if you either lose your device or not have it with you,. Or if you get stuck somewhere.
Also Owndrive is based in Norway as well as their servers.

Thus for example the US Patriot act cannot be used to subvert your legal rights to yur data, etc.
Note that I actually don't have anything to hide. Nor would I ever endorse any criminal activity. That is not the reason I am posting this.
I just am against such incursions which IMHO violate the spirit of the US Bill of rights that guaranteed the right of its citizens to be secure in their 'papers' and such.
And certainly every individual needs to know how to secure their data from crackers, criminals, enemy states, etc.

That said, note that by using the Keepass / KeepassX , etc. solution (properly that is - read and understand their information and what encryption is and does as well as what it does not do first before you do this!) you fully encrypt your data before you ever upload it.
Its a very good solution and frankly no one is ever going to be able to crack your data if you encrypt it reasonably using this method.
The strength of the data encrypt will be well enough safe or really safer than any financial institution uses. And frankly way less likely than them to ever be targeted.
And depending on your choice of what method you use as a keyfile or password in KeepassX (in other words your level of paranoia. Mine is fairly high but even so I don't even bother with using the most sophisticated method. As long as your passphrase is over 20+ characters mixed chars and numbers, etc. so forth it is enough. But that is up to you.
Also making multiple archives is safer than a single obviously.
If you have data that needs higher protection than this it shouldn't even be online frankly.

In other words you would be a military actor or mogul, or criminal etc.
In that case you hardly need my advise.. lol.

Cheers!
2017-9

Last edited by FsFOOT; 09/09/17 12:37 AM. Reason: fixed a link back.. nevermind the details..

re-tweet of my old post.

I've been using this same method for years now. Using KeepassX to store my passwords in a keepass version 2 database and be sure I can always access to vital password database, etc. and safely store it for all my devices. Especially for emergencies or even forgetfullness.. lol!

The caveat is the sync-client version available by default on Linux Mint 18 or 19 no longer works. I haven't tried the other versions but will soon.
I just use the webpage login and no problems.
Of course even if you don't use Owndrive or Owncloud a keepass database file is portable and easy to store.

There is newer keepass database version 4 (haven't tried it) and plenty of other software like authpass, etc. can open most keepass database versions also.

btw: if you're thinking of using a free owndrive account to store other types of backups - be aware the quota is only 1 GB storage free.