Rick Rawlings
No 60 Squadron
April 4, 1917
Filescamp

Woke up to the strangest dream the other day. I was a "cowboy" in the American West over the course of a several months and got into numerous adventures! Very bizarre, especially since I have never been to America and know almost nothing about its west...

Anyway, I tried to lead a flight across the lines on that very morning (the 2nd) to attack the enemy airfield directly across from us before dawn and catch the Huns before they were up and about. Unfortunately, as we were climbing off to the north, we ran into two flights of Albatros scouts trying the same plan on us! I ended up tangling with several buses singly as they came down to meet us and managed to bring three to ground before I had run out of Lewis rounds. Two of them lived and were actually aces of some renown, I heard, although they had escaped before I could get to talk to them, as often seems to be the case around here. We lost Alvord in the fight, unfortunately, he crashed trying to avoid the enemy at low level. Another condolence for me to write. The better news is that "A" flight got across the lines unmolested, led by Bishop, and did manage to do some damage to the airfield. I have a feeling that boy might be going places if he can just settle down a bit...

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...