Originally Posted by BuckeyeBob
Originally Posted by VonS

Please see the relevant "Ver. 1.2" section there for more info. - in short, an alternative "addon patch" is now provided that strips away further unnecessary ring levels from the five budget entries in the compositescenerybudgets file, while slightly improving graphics at great distances - thus the name "4RingDim" since it gives four rings per budget level.

Interesting approach here, VonS. With this version, it looks like you are removing the innermost ring. Usually, the innermost ring provides the highest visual quality for objects closet to your aircraft. It appears you have compensated for this by increasing the LOD value for the "256" ring to compensate for the lack of the "128" ring. Also, unless you are flying very close to the ground, most people will not notice the slight loss in visual quality between the 128 and 256 rings.

I might also suggest increasing the RingDim values for each ring ever so slightly. I don't think this will have much of an impact on fps, and should extend the distance for detailed objects slightly.

A great technical question and post - yes these are the most irritating parts of modding the "tuner patch" biggrin.

For example, here is budget five in the compositescenerybudgets file for the ver. 1.1 patch:

<Ring PatchWorldDim="2048" RingDim="10" LOD="17" MajorDensity="0.00006"/>
<Ring PatchWorldDim="1024" RingDim="11" LOD="30" MajorDensity="0.00009"/>
<Ring PatchWorldDim="512" RingDim="20" LOD="50" MajorDensity="0.00018"/>
<Ring PatchWorldDim="256" RingDim="20" LOD="70" MajorDensity="0.00021"/>
<Ring PatchWorldDim="128" RingDim="15" LOD="110" MajorDensity="0.00024"/>

And here is the same budget for the "4RingDim" patch, as an example:

<Ring PatchWorldDim="2048" RingDim="10" LOD="17" MajorDensity="0.00006"/>
<Ring PatchWorldDim="1024" RingDim="11" LOD="30" MajorDensity="0.00009"/>
<Ring PatchWorldDim="512" RingDim="20" LOD="50" MajorDensity="0.00018"/>
<Ring PatchWorldDim="256" RingDim="18" LOD="90" MajorDensity="0.00021"/>

Stripped out in the "4RingDim" variant, is the fifth line at a quality/size of 128 (same process of stripping applied to the fourth budget too - then again, even the budgets in my ver. 1.1. patch have slightly less rings than the stock Panama Red level-4 no blue triangles tweak).

And I agree, tweaking the ringdim values, also the lod sizes, is pesky business. For example, in my "4RingDim" experiments, cutting the level-4 ringdim size in the example above, at 256 size, to a value of about 15-16, and reducing the lod from about 90 to 70, re-introduced very subtle stuttering on occasion - almost as if something was at times "choking off" the graphics rendering, so I upped the value to 18 for the ringdim, brought the lod back up to 90 - and, voila, smooth fps again, giving similar fps numbers as the compositescenerybudgets file in the ver. 1.1. patch.

I won't tinker too much with the compositescenerybudgets files anymore since they are very finicky and hard to get "just right" - but you are of course welcome to tinker with them further on your rig if you feel that more performance and/or better visuals can be extracted.

Ah yes, almost forgot - in terms of the compsitetexturebudgets file, all sorts of variants and experiments were tested, with different ringdim numbers and detailtilecount numbers for each of the budget levels - but, again, oftentimes, some stuttering would be reintroduced into the sim. Best seem to be the Panama Red stock ringdim numbers of 5/5/5/7/7 across the budget levels, although I've increased the detailtilecount number to a value of 6 across all five budget levels - with no serious impact on performance. Values of 7 and 8 are also okay, for all of the detailtilecount numbers in the budget levels - but they do shave off some fps, with no noticeable, real visual improvement.

Von S smile

Last edited by VonS; 02/10/20 03:16 AM. Reason: Added info.

// See WOFF on a Mac post for links to FM Tweaks Packages and GPU Tuner Patch for WOFF PE/UE. (https://tinyurl.com/WOFFonMac) // VonS WOFF/WOTR mods. are tweaks of files that are © OBD Software. // FE2 Tweaked FMs & Realism Pack (https://tinyurl.com/FE2fms) // FE2 Representative Vids. (https://tinyurl.com/fe2onamac) //