I have two automatics, one manual and one with the Formula1 racing transmission which is a 6 speed manual with no clutch on the floor. The paddle shifting electro-hydraulically operates the clutch. It has a normal and a sport setting. Normal allows for softer and slower shifts while the sport mode shifts fast and firm. Much faster than any human could make the shift. The computer registers how you are driving and will do the rev matching on both up and down shifts. Pulling both paddles shifts into neutral. Took about an hour to get the proper feel and process down correctly, but once you have it down it is superb. If you have never driven one, make it a point to do so. All the benefits and cool of a stick without some of the drawbacks. You can tell it is a manual as the revs climb and you shift with all the wonderful engine note changes. And the engine burble on downshifting is really pleasing. People will turn and look at it.

One problem I have switching between the different cars I fumble with things. OK, how do you start this one ? Then driving the automatics I’m dancing my feet trying to search for the clutch and foot lifting to match revs. Then getting into the F1 I will forget to shift and will set that engine howling as I approach the7,800 redline or I’ll get distracted and lug the engine to near stall. Takes a little bit for brain to reestablish what I’m driving.

And all the other minor things. Which side is the gas fill on, does this one have a gas flap release and where is it, which way does the stalk move for a single windshield swipe, etc.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.