I end out well out to the right of the raid. From here, I can see that the Dornier I attacked is still trailing smoke, but still maintaining formation. For the time being.

[Linked Image]

Meanwhile, my numbers 2 and 3 are rejoining. Perhaps I've been too harsh on them and just didn't notice their attack.

[Linked Image]

Anyway there's still no Hun fighters anywhere to be seen, so in we go again. Rather than cross all the way over to the left for the sake of going for the bomber I damaged, I attack one on the near side of the formation, this time.

[Linked Image]

I start getting hits, closing in quickly. This looks promising!

[Linked Image]

But with the smoke from the bomber suddenly increasing, I lose a clear view of him and break too late, The first I know about it is when my Hurricane lurches violently and starts rolling left. Very fast. Looking out on that side, I can see the wing is no longer there! I chop the throttle and slide back the hood. Somehow, I also manage to make it out of my doomed fighter.

[Linked Image]

Up above, the Dorniers are sailing on, and my numbers 2 and 3 are no-where to be seen. Also missing is the Dornier I collided with - there are now nine aircraft I the right rear group, instead of ten.

[Linked Image]

There he is! Spiralling down and pretty clearly doomed. Problem is, so am I, unless my canopy withstands the sudden shock of opening, which is always in doubt in high-speed bailouts.

[Linked Image]

But all is well, and in another second I find myself dangling serenely under the silken canopy as the raiders rumble on, up above.

[Linked Image]

Evidently, everyone else made it back to Warmwell - hence the five aircraft showing on the 43 Squadron marker on the plotting table, in the first pic on the previous post. And in the pic below. This shows the dialogue boxes opened for the Mission Folder, Warmwell airfield, and the 43 Squadron 'Diary'. The latter has the 'Single' box ticked so it shows the results of that unit's last action. It seems somebody else saw Messerschmitts, but as we claimed none and lost nobody to them, they were probably far away - 109s can be very hard to spot unless they are close to a raid.

[Linked Image]

The Dorniers I damaged and shot down (all right, rammed!) were the only damage done to Hostile 201 (which per the Mission Folder, was making sure the fighter base at Duxford, further north-east, stayed 'critically damaged'). But for six Hurricanes up against that lot and many 109s not too far away, it could have been far worse.

Attached Files shot_771.jpgshot_772.jpgshot_773.jpgshot_774.jpgshot_775.jpgshot_776.jpgshot_777.jpgshot_778.jpg20 Aug lunchtime - 43 Sqn Diary after action.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 01/21/20 08:55 PM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)