Been running Windows 8.1 for a long time now, partly because of W7 going away, partly because of certain features not being supported in W7 (native UASP for USB3, for example), and partly because of forced updates and other issues with W10.

If you're considering W10, then W8.1 isn't that much more terrible TBH. I've had no troubles at all running various software/games so far. W8.1 is supported for at least another 3 years, if I'm not mistaken, and you can avoid some of the W10 nonsense. Good tips above (and all over online) about avoiding problems with privacy, updates, etc.

Like VonS, and in spite of a deep and long-standing hatred for all that M$ has done to ruin Windows...I'd have to say W10 rather than Linux. The thing is, as popular as it may be with many, Linux still doesn't see the sort of widespread support that Windows does, something M$ knew and exploited long ago. Unfortunately, what this translates to in reality is that there is far, far more software that will run under Windows natively than under Linux. (Due respect to others' knowledge and experience, I personally don't count overlays etc only because they aren't necessarily within technical grasp of most average users).

My $0.02, FWIW - HTH smile

Last edited by kksnowbear; 01/14/20 07:24 PM.