65 Squadron, Tangmere, 18 September 1940

Well, today was very nearly the day they got me. It all started relatively harmlessly, but it didn't stay like that.

And this was the way of it...

We've hardly had time for breakfast when just after 6, we're briefed for a patrol over the docks in the East End of London. A couple of replacement aircraft have arrived but this is just about keeping pace with what's lost or under repair. So we can only put up six Spitfires.

[Linked Image]

There's a bit more cloud about too, and more where we're going, if the 'met' people are to be believed. To our left as we leave Tangmere there's a low moon...

[Linked Image]

...while to our right, the sun is also low in the sky.

[Linked Image]

As we reach London, we find out from the Controller that this patrol is not going to be uneventful. We're vectored to intercept a raid to the east, about thirty miles away, and I turn onto the indicated heading.

[Linked Image]

This time, I have resisted the temptation to push the throttle all the way forward the moment the raid is announced. So the boys have no difficulty in keeping up. I don't want us running into the Huns if we're spread out all over the sky. It's a slow, painful process, but I'm learning!

[Linked Image]

I level out and settle onto the new course. Far below, you can see Tower Bridge and next to it on the far bank of the Thames, the Tower of London.

[Linked Image]

Another check with the Controller confirms that the Huns haven't pulled one of their disappearing tricks. They're now under twenty miles ahead, somewhere in the glare of the early morning sun. At least we should be somewhat above them, if the gen we're getting is right.

[Linked Image]

The boys are still keeping up nicely...

[Linked Image]

...so we're as ready as we'll ever be for whatever it is, that's heading our way.

...to be continued!

Attached Files Untitled.jpgShot01-07-20-19-44-44.jpgShot01-07-20-19-52-15.jpgShot01-07-20-19-57-50.jpgShot01-07-20-19-58-12.jpgShot01-07-20-19-58-39.jpgShot01-07-20-19-59-12.jpgShot01-07-20-20-00-16.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 01/07/20 09:07 PM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)