65 Squadron, Tangmere, 17th September 1940

We're off ops for the rest of the 16th due to a shortage of aircraft. Unlike pilots, supply from the factories via the Maintenance Units seems rarely to be able keep us up to anything like full strength. On the next day, we manage to put up seven, for a scramble against a raid, once again with an interception point NE of London, well outside our Sector's area.

[Linked Image]

We're soon getting away and leaving Tangmere behind. The weather is clearer than of late, so there's that to be grateful for,

[Linked Image]

I slide the cockpit canopy forward, turn onto our assigned Vector to the north-east, and begin to climb.

[Linked Image]

I ease off to allow the boys to catch up. Red 2 and 3 slip ahead briefly...

[Linked Image]

...but are soon sliding back into position.

[Linked Image]

I have to allow a bit longer for a pair who are lagging a bit, noting that there's a bit more cloud the further we go. It doesn't much hamper our visibility, but if it gets any worse it could hamper visual observation of raids from the ground, which we rely on over land as the RDF coverage is only out to sea.

[Linked Image]

Before long, we're beginning to cross London, at about fifteen thousand if I recall right.

[Linked Image]

We've been vectored to the other side of the capital - we have a way to go yet. The skies are clear above us, so the risk of us being caught by surprise from on high - 'bounced' - should be low.

[Linked Image]

A check with the Controller confirms we are still on the right track for the raid, now about 18 miles ahead...

[Linked Image]

...so on we go. By now, we've crossed the Thames and are over London's north-eastern suburbs. Not long now...I hope...!

...to be continued!

Attached Files Shot01-04-20-22-10-08.jpgShot01-04-20-22-11-29.jpgShot01-04-20-22-13-20.jpgShot01-04-20-22-14-10.jpgShot01-04-20-22-14-30.jpgShot01-04-20-22-18-31.jpgShot01-04-20-22-25-25.jpgShot01-04-20-22-26-29.jpgShot01-04-20-22-26-52.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 01/05/20 03:56 PM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)