This reminds me of my earlier college days. I used to have this guy who loved playing his guitar between 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning, during weekdays and weeknights, it was totally random. I would bang on the ceiling, it would stop for a few minutes, then start up again. When I would get up in the morning, I would knock on the door and never got anyone to answer. This went on for quite some time until I decided I had had enough. I happened to have a CD called "Jet Sounds" which had high-quality recordings of various jet aircraft. I then duct-taped my speakers to the ceiling and selected two choice tracks, first was the SR-71 engine start procedure, followed by a C-5 Galaxy take-off. For those unfamiliar with the SR-71 engine start, it had to use a "start cart" that was powered by two V-8 Engines that would accelerate to about 3500-4500 RPMs.

I waited and had everything set up, ready to go. He started playing guitar again. I knocked on the door upstairs, no answer. Then, I went back downstairs and let it rip. It sounded like the apartment was about to get by a 747 Jumbo jet. Peace and quiet that night.

The next morning, as I left for school, I heard the upstairs door shut, so I waited to catch the guitar playing dude and confront him. To my horror and surprise, I noticed that a sweet old lady in her 80s or 90s came out of the apartment!!! I realized then that the guitar player had actually been next door to me instead of upstairs. That poor lady, she probably thought a dump truck with nitro-glycerin was crashing through her apartment.

Moral of the story, be careful when confronting people about noises in an apartment and do some research to make sure you are certain who is making the noise. I admit, what I did was
irresponsible and immature, but, I do have a great story to tell for years to come! hahaha