Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I'm sure all of us here have had at least one instance where we went to the theater to see a movie and it turned out to be radically different from what we were expecting? The ultimate example for me is "Alien 3".

I was expecting it to be essentially the same as "Aliens" in both style and plot; a direct continuation of where "Aliens" left off. I was expecting to see armed marines fighting large groups of aliens while Ripley, Newt, Hicks and Bishop tried to make their way back to Earth.

Instead I got a bald Ripley on a prison planet inhabited mostly by Englishmen who acted more like they were in a religious convent than a prison while two major characters from the previous film were killed off for no logical reason. The whole vibe of the movie just felt "off" and awkward.

Killing off Hicks and Newt at the beginning were two of the greatest screenwriting and producer decisions I have ever witnessed on screen.

Cameron and his partner had set up a brilliant layering of character development by the end of Aliens, were we truly cared about the folks in the film, and then they threw it all away. The Alien franchise has never been the same, since. Even Joss Whedon was unable to save things in Alien Resurrection because... once again producers got in the way and reduced what could have been a brilliant script with Whedon's trademark brilliant dialogue and character development into... something average that could have been so much more.

Back on subject, The Matrix Reloaded was one of the greatest disappointments in cinematic history. The first hour was so dull and boring, none of the action in the second half could save the mess that had been started. What a disaster. I never saw the third film. How they went from the brilliance of the first film to a pacing nightmare of the second we'll never know.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 12/05/19 09:07 PM.