Originally Posted by GrayGhost

I said LTWS.

LTWS is essentially a RWS layout/interface with a TWS "back-end". It shows targets like the RWS mode but once or when the pilot slews the TDC over a target that same target will show up like it would in TWS mode. But again in the "background" LTWS is a TWS - for example it still prioritizes the 8 most threatening targets like the "normal" TWS does.

I can imagine that modes like either LTWS in the Hornet or SAM in the F-16 would be useful decades ago when the processing power and overall hardware and software capabilities were very limited. But now in modern times with much better hardware and processing power and software do allow detailed modes like TWS to work just as well as more traditional modes such as RWS, not to mention SAM or LTWS.

Prioritizing is for easy use. The pilot already knows and decides priorities by himself.

Yeah right, makes me wonder why those "fools" at the US military such as the USAF are pushing to sensor fusion which allows the aircraft (like the F-22 or F-35) to show the pilot vast and extensive information details (which goes well beyond prioritizing) and all of this when "the pilot already knows and decides priorities by himself" beforehand? I guess that sensor fusion is for easy use as well. Guess you could also add air-to-air missiles, EW systems that deploy ECM and Chaff/Flare automatically and so on... to that list as well rolleyes

And STT will still be better at it. I don't care about your speculation.

Yeah right, apart from triggering the target/enemy aircraft's RWR/ESM like a freaking Christmas Tree, the STT is indeed better... rolleyes

So? F-16s TWS might be particularly weak for a bunch of reasons. Incidentally, I've got the eagle's radar manual in front of me and it does have a SAM mode.

Care to share that (F-15) manual? Thanks in advance.