Originally Posted by RSColonel_131st
Just curious: How "bad" is our protagonist?

I've never really felt like playing GTA, as I don't like playing some, even comically overdone, criminals. How is that with this title?

This is a good question Colonel. Short answer, not very bad.

Long answer, it's complicated. There is nothing intrinsically bad about him, or even what you're required to do with him. However, he is after all, an outlaw. You'll find yourself slugging NPCs and of course filling them full of lead. One of the things Arthur will be doing is collecting unpaid debts, and the NPCs often require some spirited persuasion before they'll cough it up. And some of these are modest, law abiding citizens that shouldn't have borrowed the money, but now time is up and you're here to collect. But punchin' ain't killin', despite all the blood.

Compared to Trevor from GTA 5 Arthur's a teddy bear.

There's an 'honor meter' and the game judges your actions and the story and NPCs react to you partly based on this. My honor meter is about 90% honorable. I save damsels in distress, often release a prisoner or other NPC I could have killed, and generally try to play a good outlaw despite the dichotomy, just ask my man Twice-Bitten. I can't say I've been required to do anything I'd rate as distasteful in a morality sense, aside from all the killing, but these are 'enemies', and those we shoot, as with most games.

Of course a player can do whatever he wants, and if you want to lasso the friendly shopkeeper and drag him across the map on your horse you can do it. But as far as being forced to do things you might object to I'd say that's going to be rare.

In GTA 5 I squirmed at times playing Trevor. The dude is sick, and there were plenty of cringe-worthy moments in that game. He may be my least favorite character I've ever played in a video game. RDR 2 goes in an entirely different direction here, and while morality is a factor, how you proceed or deal with any situation is (mostly) up to you.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!