Originally Posted by Rick_Rawlings
I literally just got this one like two weeks ago and have been very pleased.

https://www.amazon.com/Pixio-FreeSy...hy=9030785&hvtargid=pla-822544887338

The move up to 2560x1400 really seems to help spot and track targets. It uses the Freesync technology and yet still keeps frame rates up with a gtx 1060 6GB. I do get a slight ghosting exclusively on WOFF with TrackIR that doesn't show up on other programs, so I assume it is some setting I just need to change. It hasn't bothered me enough to spend the time tracking it down yet, though. (running it on display port at the moment, kksnowbear) You will want to look into the difference between IPS vs TN vs VA displays (There was actually a lot more to picking a new monitor than I thought!) This was really one of the only monitors that checked all my boxes at my price point (under $500) Now, I haven't tried WoTR at that resolution late in the battle yet, which is more likely to cause slowdown, but all my other programs seem to be running at the higher resolution no problem, including The Outer Worlds, which I just got.

Yep, the different panel types are another factor...you're right, there's more to monitors than one might think at first. IPS panels, I think, offer the clearest, brightest, most saturated colors, but that's only a few of the considerations. There's also how black the blacks are, contrast ...really a good idea to study online resources to find out what fits your needs. As I understand it, each one has pros and cons.

BTW, unless I'm mistaken, most of the Nvidia GPUs won't do variable refresh over HDMI, where AMD does. The Nvidia 20-series cards support HDMI 2.1, which if I've understood, will support variable refresh rates. AMD said a while ago they would support HDMI 2.1, but I'm not sure if it's happened yet.

Another good point you've made is that 2560 x1440 is a reasonable compromise between needing higher resolutions for anything 27"+ on the desktop (due to viewing distance), and the cost/performance hit with 4k. Regardless of the GPU, it will certainly do far better driving 2k than trying to drive more than twice as much (4k = 8.29 million pixels, where 2k is only 3.68). Ultimately I decided certain factors (curved, 21:9, Gsync) were going to dictate my budget, and going with 1080 was where I could keep costs down and performance up. Plus I'm blind as a bat anyway biggrin , so even though I can visually appreciate higher-res displays, I really don't notice anything lacking about 1080.