Originally Posted by DBond
I am a map guy. My friends make fun of me for not using GPS and always checking maps. I study maps for fun believe it or not. So the map in any game is one of the things I tend to be more critical of. Many fall short of my expectations, but some are great, and RDR 2's map is one of those. Nicely drawn, and very useful. It resolves to more and more detail as you zoom in. It seemed I was on a streak of substandard maps over the last however many games I've played, but RDR restores the faith with an attractive and functional map.

Hah, me too smile love maps, especially paper ones that come with games (remember them.....?)

First thing I had to do in Witcher 3 was to disable quest markers & the mini-map. It felt just wrong playing that fantastically rendered world full of detail by staring at the tiny stupid mini-map to see where to go. Luckily in that you can disable all that stuff right in the game, unlike Skyrim say where you need to mod it out.

So now I need to read the map, and look into the environment to see any nasty greeblies skulking about before deciding on a shortcut through a forest or swamp or something.

I mean that's why we have better & more realistic worlds, right? smile

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."