65 Squadron, Tangmere, mid-afternoon, 16 August 1940

Unfortunately those stubborn Naval people have not yet given up on coastal convoys. Our next mission is to put up a patrol over one, happily not too far away to the south-east. We can manage only five Spitfires, but that's fair enough for this sort of mission.

[Linked Image]

I'm quickly leaving Tangmere behind and turning back towards the Channel.

[Linked Image]

By the time we're crossing the coast, the boys are in position, with Red 2 and 3 either side behind, and Blue 1 and 2 off to our left rear.

[Linked Image]

Climbing harder now, I ask the Controller if he has any trade for us. Which he has, as it happens. Pretty well straight ahead.

[Linked Image]

As we climb I'm conscious that Red 3 - Skidmore - is living up to his name. Watch what you're doing, you clot!

[Linked Image]

I push the stick forward and bank left to give him a bit more space, but it's too late. As the others look on in horror, Red 3 clips my Spitfire! Up ahead are the Bandits, but it seems this is as close a look as I'm going to get at them.

[Linked Image]

Red 3 goes straight down in a vertical dive; there's no sign of a 'chute. My own kite is still answering controls, but power is dropping and I'm trailing smoke, as I begin to fall behind the others.

[Linked Image]

I order them to split formation in the hope they'll go for the Huns. For myself, I'll be lucky to get home. I quickly turn back north towards the coast. I've been hurt as badly as my Spitfire, by the look and sound of it.

[Linked Image]

Fearful of passing out from shock and loss of blood, I bail out...

[Linked Image]

...leaving my abandoned Spitfire to her fate. Again.

[Linked Image]

Happily, I am saved, but Skidmore has bought it.

[Linked Image]

I spend an eventful ten days in hospital. My return isn't made any happier by the fact that (though not visible below) my trusty number 2, McAulley, with seven victories to his name, is reported killed while I am away.

[Linked Image]

Looking on the bright side of life, replacements in men and machines have brought us well back up to strength.

[Linked Image]

Time to have another crack at the Huns!

Attached Files 65 Sqn brief 1500 16 Aug.jpgShot11-10-19-15-05-43.jpgShot11-10-19-15-07-40.jpgShot11-10-19-15-09-11.jpgShot11-10-19-15-09-34.jpgShot11-10-19-15-12-13.jpgShot11-10-19-15-12-37.jpgShot11-10-19-15-14-40.jpgShot11-10-19-15-15-39.jpgShot11-10-19-15-15-03.jpg65 Sqn debrief 1500 16 Aug.jpg65 Sqn time advance summary Aug.jpg65 Sqn roster 26 Aug.jpg

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)