m1 tank platoon 2 has some life in it still if you are willing to get it working and then explore it and the user content for it - and best of all there is a map and mission editor/creator that stll works for it if you run it through dosbox. i have a rar file on my google drive that i can send to interest folks, that has all the stuff i have saved over the years - the patches, the extra missions, sound mods etc.

i would say that yes the M1 TP2 AI will mostly follow a type of plan, but their point of entry onto a map can be uncertain at times and the full make up of their force unknown and ithe placement of forests and rivers and hills will mean also challenges with trying to determine where they all are sometimes.

i will say this too, that the AI i think is a bit different in version 1.1 as to 1.2 - the AI helos in 1.1 are ferocious on both sides and enemy tanks take some sic pleasure in trying to run over soldiers rather than just gunning them down if they are close enough.
Also i played some missions recently and the AI totally eluded me - i had to stop them and was not able to locate them all before then disappeared off the map again and attack me off map from the rear. The 1.1 ai is aggressive if they have any chance to hit you from the sides or rear, but if your front is facing them they wont fire, unless they are within 1km range. despite this they can still be tough and if you get attacked from multpile directions it soon become easier for them to get at your side armor

it is such a shame that m1tp3 never got finished and released - steel beasts is the only thing that has come close but even then it lacks the content that made m1tp2 great.

I think there could be potential with DCS world's "Combined Arms" module to be much like m1tp2, a few things felt familiar withit, it just needs more missions and a campaign or 2 of its own. Combined Arms could be so much better than what it is, i hope ED improve it