65 Squadron, Tangmere, late afternoon, 18 August 1940

The flight is scrambled again, once more to intercept a raid coming across the Channel from south of the Isle of Wight. We’re quickly on our way. We need to cover nearly seventy miles and get up to at least 14,000 feet. At times like this, I wish the boys were as quick at getting into formation after take-off, as they are at getting off the ground in the first place. You can see from the map that the estimated target is inland this time, an aircraft factory.

[Linked Image]

While I'm waiting impatiently for the others, I call up the Controller. If I'm understanding him right, he tells me the raid is still well to the south, but I don't want to turn towards them too soon, so carry on to the south-west.

[Linked Image]

The boys are just beginning to catch up as I pass Tangmere's satellite airfield, Westhampnett. It's a grass airfield, but with two well-worn landing strips visible. Bit of a giveaway to the Hun bombers, if and when they decide to visit.

[Linked Image]

The formation comes together and I start to climb hard again.

[Linked Image]

Soon, we cross the Solent, I request a fresh Vector from the Controller. His report confirms that the Bandits are still out over the Channel, so it looks like we will arrive in time to head them off. I adjust our course accordingly, slightly to the left, out to sea. In a few minutes, we have skirted the eastern side of the Isle of Wight and are over open water.

[Linked Image]

Rather sooner than I was expecting, one of the boys calls in Bandits at ten o’clock low. There they are! Just slightly lower, a modest gaggle heading roughly north-west.

I order them attacked and swing towards them. I quickly see they’re bombers – Heinkels, in fact.

[Linked Image]

In my haste to get at them, I’ve completely neglected to check that the bombers are on their own.

They’re not!

[Linked Image]

...to be continued!

Attached Files Shot11-04-19-20-14-15.jpgShot11-04-19-20-16-03.jpgShot11-04-19-20-17-53.jpgShot11-04-19-20-19-01.jpgShot11-04-19-20-22-19.jpgShot11-04-19-20-26-23.jpgShot11-04-19-20-26-14.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 11/05/19 06:59 PM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)