Well out over the Channel, we get our first glimpse of the shipping we have come here to protect...

[Linked Image]

...and soon after, begin the patrol itself.

[Linked Image]

Behind me, Red 3 comes rather close during the turns, but manages to avoid running into me.

[Linked Image]

I'm generally making left turns, so life is a bit easier for Red 2, provided I don't go full tilt.

Calls to the controller reveal no sign of Huns, so I get a bit of a shock when I suddenly notice a bunch of aircraft flying in the opposite direction, a couple of miles out to my left.

[Linked Image]

Off we go! I select full power and go for them. Huns I reckon, intent on attacking the ships, or perhaps a fighter sweep.

[Linked Image]

But no - as I get closer, I can see that they are Spitfires like our own. I'm tempted to close with them and find out who they are, but they turn right and away, and I let them go.

[Linked Image]

In my excitement, I've pulled away from the boys a bit, so slow down to let then regain formation.

[Linked Image]

By this time, our briefed minimum time on patrol is long passed and as it looks like our relief is on station, I lead the flight home.

[Linked Image]

A look at the gauges shows the top tank is nearly empty, but the bottom one is still full. A final check with the Controller confirms the skies are clear of Huns so I feel it's safe enough to continue back to Tangmere.

[Linked Image]

I let down over the sea as we near the coast, with the shadows of the clouds dappling the steely blue waters of the English Channel.

[Linked Image]

Brighton comes up on our right as we fly along just offshore.

[Linked Image]

Cutting diagonally inland, I can soon see Tangmere up ahead.

[Linked Image]

This time, instead of just putting down myself, I decide to try out WotR's flight commands and as I reach the airfield, I give the order to land. The boys promptly peel off to the right, leaving me time and space to make my own circuit.

[Linked Image]

As far as I know, flying control at fighter bases of this early period tended to consist of an officer with a Very pistol and a supply of 'reds', housed in a hut or caravan. None of this modern ATC stuff. Keeping a look-out for traffic, I'm soon settling into a curved approach to the runway I took off from about an hour earlier.

[Linked Image]

Once safely down, I taxi onto the perimeter track, into one of the dispersal points, and swing her around deftly so that I'm facing back out. I switch off and hear the distant hum of aero engines, as the flight makes its own circuit. Soon, the first two - probably my own Red 2 and 3 - are dropping onto the ground and rolling to a halt behind me.

[Linked Image]

An uneventful first trip it's been, apart from the excitement provided by the unexpected arrival of those other Spits. But I'm always quite happy for a gentle start, and to bring everybody safe home. There'll be plenty of time later for the heroics, I have the feeling.

Attached Files Shot10-25-19-20-46-16.jpgShot10-25-19-20-52-34.jpgShot10-25-19-20-54-47.jpgShot10-25-19-20-59-56.jpgShot10-25-19-21-01-49.jpgShot10-25-19-21-03-35.jpgShot10-25-19-21-04-51.jpgShot10-25-19-21-06-21.jpgShot10-25-19-21-07-01.jpgShot10-25-19-21-13-01.jpgShot10-25-19-21-29-28.jpgShot10-25-19-21-30-55.jpgShot10-25-19-21-53-51.jpgShot10-25-19-22-00-31.jpgShot10-25-19-21-17-00.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 10/26/19 11:50 AM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)