Rick Rawlings
No 24 Squadron
Aug 23, 1916
Bertangles West

We set out yesterday morning for a simple-over-the-lines patrol. As we made our way north to shoot across the front and head for Riencourt, a most unusual thing happened: our flight leader spotted enemies below us, on our side of the lines(!), and dove for an attack. I followed and found to my surprise a couple of Eindeckers and a Halberstadt very low, possibly coming of an unsuccessful balloon attack. The fight was soon joined and we manged to get the upper hand, at which point our enemies sought to disengage and make a run for the home field! We all went off in various stages of pursuit and I wound up following one of the Einys. I caught him just over the lines and after a brief struggle was able to force him down with a dead engine just past his trenches. Feeling pleased with myself, I headed home only to find that no one was close enough to see my victory and it happened too low for the boys in our trenches to confirm it. Claim denied!

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...