Still no joy on getting my hands on the ugly RAF kit i want, only a 1/72 version of it in stock which is too small for my eyes let alone my fumbly fingers. I'm wanting to stay in the Pacific atm and decided to have a look at the Japanese offerings, tons of zeros and i nearly picked up a Rufe ( float plane version of the Zero) but decided on these two as i hardly know anything about them.

[Linked Image]

I've always thought the Raiden was a bit of an ugly chunky little thing but it's growing on me, and the box art as seems usual for the time period is just too cool. Both kits are marked 1973 on the boxes but Tamiya seems to have slipped in updated decals as they are marked 2003. Very basic kits but at $18 each i couldn't pass them up and they should build up decently..and easily smile

So, first up i'll knock the Raiden (Jack) and then move onto Frank. Both of these give me a good excuse for plenty of weathering and i'm thinking about doing a crashed/beached/abandoned dio with the Frank. Look at the paint on this Raiden, disgustingly awesome.

[Linked Image]

and a reference for how i hope to do the Frank. I was thinking of doing the Raiden like this but like i said, she is growing on me and i don't have the heart to destroy it.

[Linked Image]

Captured Raiden compared to a spit and Hellcat.

[Linked Image]

Some old timey nice and basic instructions (they include the same again but in Japanese)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

decals

[Linked Image]

and a cool as colour sheet, got to love this.

[Linked Image]

The detail is pretty decent for a cheap as chips kit.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The canopy, very Batman.

[Linked Image]

The cockpit area was a ten minute glue session, very basic and open. The kit includes two figures, this guy and one standing. I might sit this chap on the wing awaiting take off.

[Linked Image]

A quick trial fit, the wings over and under lap so will need trimming and sanding to sit flush with the fuselage, i'm used to this now smile The rest is decent enough, just the usual fuselage seam sanding and small amount of putty.

[Linked Image]

Wing sitting perfectly flush at the front, once they are on the fuselage i will decide which way to attack the trailing edges.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Japanese don't muck around when it comes to armoured glass apparently. Plenty of gaps at the rear that will be filled and i'll cut that radio into a semblance of a square shape and add some detail. The belts are painted up Tamiya tape.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Old mate awaiting his ride.

[Linked Image]

The Batpit. This canopy when lightly pressed down fits more snug and flush than nearly any of the other kits i have done so far. You can see where the rear of the wings meet the fuselage is off on both sides, blade work will be needed.

[Linked Image]

Poor bugger looks like he having a bad day, maybe he's ground sick.

[Linked Image]

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships