Hi all,
I thought it was about time I took on another resin kit, as the last resin model I built was the DFW T28 'Floh' from 'Planet Models'.
I've had the 'HPH Models' 1:32 scale Aviatik 'Berg' D.I in my stash for quite awhile, so thought it was about time I gave it a go.
Already I've encountered a couple of things that may cause problems.
1. The instruction manual, normal I think for 'HPH Models', consists of a small booklet with photographs and arrows showing where parts fit.
However these illustrations leave a lot to be desired, especially those for assembling the engine, which has many parts and the smallest in the entire kit.
Some of the call out illustrations for parts are not the same as the actually resin parts supplied in the kit, which is a bit confusing.
2. More of a concern is that the kit is supplied with mask sheets for painting the lozenge - not the easiest route to take.
So I ordered the optional decal sheets.
These arrived in polythene bags and without the normal tissue paper protection sheets. Consequently the bags stuck to the exposed decals and despite being careful extracting the decal sheets, some were chipped where they's stuck to the bag. Also the bags had left an imprint across every decal, which I'm not sure will show after the decals are applied.
Thinking this might have been a 'one off' I ordered another set of decals, but these packaged the same way and in the same condition.
I emailed 'HPH' and suggested they revise how the package these decals - I haven't had a reply!!

Anyway we are modellers, not assemblers, so on I go.
I decided to work on the engine first, contrary to the instruction manual.
Unless I'm very carefully, some of the tiny engine parts may end up feeding the 'carpet monster' - we'll, but at least the kit is supplied with some spare parts.
I'm using 'Alclad' lacquers on the engine and have dulled down the copper water jackets on the cylinders and the intake manifolds by applying 'Tamiya' Weathering Master (Set D - Oil Stain), which gives the copper an older, heated look.
Long way to go on this one I think,

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Sandbagger; 10/05/19 08:20 PM.

[Linked Image]

Alienware Aurora R5
Windows 10 64 bit
Intel i7-6700K 4.2Ghz
Two GTX 1080 Foundations in SLI (8 Gig each)
32 Gig DDR4 2133Mhz
1TB SSD boot drive - 1TB SATA storage drive
5.1 Surround Sound
34" Dell Ultra Sharp U3415W (3440x 2440)
CH Pro-Pedals, Stick and Throttle
TrackIR-5 Pro