Sort of a catch-all thread. I recently picked up another one of these games, and over the past few years we have seen a resurgence in the genre. Older 'classic' titles are fine to discuss too, especially as some have received remastered versions recently.

I'll start with the new one, Pathfinder:Kingmaker.

Pathfinder:Kingmaker

Have only recently started this one, and unlike most runs in this sort of game, I have re-rolled my start a number of times. Seems good from what I have seen (the prologue four times :D). I have a lot of experience in these sorts of games, but with Kingmaker I find the upgrade system dense. There is an overriding fear that early choices will lock me out of later game choices that I might want. Most RPGs have robust leveling/feats/skill systems, but Kingmaker is one that I struggle to feel I've made choices I can live with and won't regret down the line.

I haven't played far enough to have a solid opinion of it, but the early game evokes the classics like Baldur's Gate, and Planescape. We'll see how I feel after getting further along. Combat is RTwP, which is OK-ish. Some folks will like it better, but personally I like turn-based combat in these games. Thankfully there is a turn-based combat mod, which I installed after a few hours.

Good UI, voice acting, graphics. A moderate amount of non-voiced text. Very interesting multi-class character creation/levelling. A ridiculous amount of choices and customization. Reportedly the story is very good. I'll know more in time.

It's also one of, if not the, first to include a strategic side. After a bit you get your own barony which you lord over. Haven't gotten that far so don't know if it's fluff or fun.

Tyranny

Didn't click with me. Interesting premise, good reviews. I played a few hours then shelved it. Not sure why, but it didn't grab me. Maybe I'll give it another go. By most reports it's a good RPG that perhaps I didn't give a fair shake to.

Pillars of Eternity

This one I did like. It's dark and with RTwP combat. A ton of text reading to do, but very well written. Really good story, mechanics and character variety. Weapons include swords and guns as well as the requisite magic users. As mentioned I am not a big fan of RTwP combat, but the story and writing make up for it. Good game.

PoE 2 (Deadfire) has since come out to good reviews. It's been on my wishlist forever, and I struggled to decide whether to buy this one or Kingmaker. I bought Kingmaker because of the strategy game part. But I will get Deadfire before too long.

Divinity Original Sin

Two games, 1 and 2. Really liked both of these games. Not a good inventory system, which in these sorts of games is a crime. But virtually everything else shines for me. Especially the combat, which, of all the CRPGs I've played, remains my favorite. The interactivity of various spells, environments and elementals is endlessly fun to play with.

Which CPRGs do you like, which would you recommend and why?

Last edited by DBond; 07/22/19 05:46 PM.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!