Henri Patois
Verdun
April 26, 1917
Escadrille3 No. 23

Having been badly ambushed the last couple of flights, I determined that only nosebleed-inducing altitudes would be considered for today's trip over the lines. So we took our leisurely time climbing up as high as I could stand. I would say it is as likely as not we were over 4200 meters! And it seemed to work! We found a pair of Albatros scouts that we were able to dive down upon. They themselves dove away and we felt inclined to follow. I have to admit with all the creaking my Nieuport does, I am waiting for that fateful day comes when the creak becomes a CRACK! and the spar breaks and I tumble down wingless, so I did not follow them as quickly as I might have. Anyway, we chased them down to the ground and I dropped one right on the edge of his aerodrome! The rest of my flight finished off the other.

Being in good condition, we climbed all the way back up and resumed our patrol. Further behind the lines, we came out above a flight of seven of the Albatros scouts. They spotted us before I could get in the sun and since the Marquis had already gone home with a trick engine, I decided not to attack with just the three of us remaining. Returning to the front, we spied two more scouts below us and eagerly engaged. Again in a series of descending turns, I was able to finish off the lead craft, although these two put up a better fight than the earlier pair. Feeling pleased with ourselves, we returned home.

Needless to say that since it was me and we were over the lines and despite the fact that my entire flight was present, both kills were denied...

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...