Henri Patois
Verdun
April 5, 1917
Escadrille3 No. 23

Another trip up today under bad weather. Unlike yesterday, we were just circling on our side of the lines. The Marquis de Monferato went up with us, looking remarkably well for having been smashed to death the other day. We had a go of it when we were set upon by a flight of six Albatros scouts. It was a furious affair for a few minutes, until everyone split up into little groups. The fellow I latched onto decided that he'd had enough rather early on and broke east, as I vainly tried to follow him in my slow little Nieuport. Giving up, I tried to look for others that were making a retreat and finally found one below me. I dove with him and made several turns until I came around behind him. I fired repeatedly, seemingly without effect, until I pulled away to avoid collision. Only then did he nose down and start a slow spiral into the ground. Despite bringing him down on our side of the lines near a friendly 'drome, my claim was rejected, which makes 2 for 2. What do I have to do for these guys?

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...