Not this "immersion" sh*t again.

I guess I was ahead of my time, but in the old sims all the rinky-dink "immersion features" usually wound up making me sigh. I do not want to click on a map in a briefing room to get the next mission, or the typewriter to change settings, in the main menu. I never once cared about an AI squadmate, and never once wanted to manage a squadron. I signed up to fly missions. I'll leave the management and strategy to others; in a historical sim, NOTHING a single pilot does should change the outcome of the war one iota (unless one is playing Let's Nuke Japan).

While we bemoan the "Achievement Awarded" generation, we played simulations that handed out awards as if they were mints in a bowl on the commander's desk.

Cut scenes? How many times did I see that guy running through no-man's land in Red Baron?

Of all the classic sims, from Aces of the Pacific to Red Baron 3D, did I ever think to myself "Hey, let's jump in and see what the engaging campaign has in store for me! Maybe there will be a neat briefing or something!" I was just there for the flying.

For me, the best story or narrative is the one I create for myself. Loads of people knock both the IL-2 series and Rise of Flight for lacking "immersion," but I never had a problem putting myself in the world and filling in the thankfully large blanks. Indeed, forcing a narrative on me seems like they're telling me how to feel about things and events.

[edit]

If there is any failing in modern sims, it's making a living world. We still haven't gotten to the computing power to populate the ground in an interesting way for flight sims. Would I like to see a "persistent" world, where if I damage a bridge in one mission I see repair work going on the next? Yeah, I would. But it's not a show stopper.

Last edited by Dart; 06/24/19 04:49 PM.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."