First, let me say that I'm a HUGE Michael Caine fan. I haven't seen nearly all of his films, or even half those on this list (including "Hannah and Her Sisters"), but I have yet to see him in ANYTHING and not be amazed at his acting. And that includes "Secondhand Lions", despite a markedly Cockney Texas accent. And he had one of MY all-time favorite lines: "How much longer, ops? The engine's overheating and so am I. Either we stand down or blow up. Now which do you want?" I know he didn't write it, but his delivery was beautiful. A perfect mixture of exasperation and sarcasm, with just the right amount of annoyance thrown in for good measure. I also love his honesty. Once, on The Tonight Show, when they were talking about his "accent" he said that to Americans he sounded polished and refined, but in Britain he would be looked down on because of the way he talked. I think he said something like they wouldn't let him in the front door.

All that said...and repeating that I have never seen "Hannah"...I completely disagree with his winning Best Supporting Actor (before it got PC'd to "Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role") for that film. Nothing against him, but I just can't imagine a better performance than that of Tom Berenger, who was up for the same award for his role of Sgt. Barnes in "Platoon". I could name several people I knew that that could have been modeled on...check that, copied from...and Berenger was never in the military. Like Paul Newman in "The Color of Money", I think Caine got the award more for the fact that he'd been passed over so many times before. It's one of the reasons I gave up on The Academy Awards years ago.

SALUTE TO ALL!