Lots of fans were unhappy with how this episode worked out, I was happy with it and enjoyed the outcome of the battle -- mainly because I never cared that much for the Night King anyway.
I cared a long time ago about the Night King, but after years of not really learning about his character motivations, goals or even much about his origins, he just became a hindrance in many respects. He was as was said many times "death" personified -- it sure looked for 90% of the episode like our heroes had no chance, and either the Night King or Bran was going to die and by this point neither of them were particularly interesting to me.
There is a name for characters like Bran and the Knight King, sort of like the stolen money in Psycho or the briefcase in Pulp Fiction, and after 7 years of GoT that is how I feel about TNK and Bran frankly.

That being said, I was glad to at last see some gratitude from Bran Stark.

Some new alliances were opened up and new conflicts too, but bottom line--
These massive multi season epic series, need to end with a full episode season arc, not this half the number of episode "lets close off all the threads of the last 7 years in half the time" final seasons.