18 April 1915

Odis Först writes: "0537: Artillery Spotting with Lt Müller outside Reims. 1 hour 40 minutes.
At about 1030 we heard the sound of a rotary engine. When the machine came in to land it was our beloved Ltn Boelcke in his personal two-seat Fokker monoplane! The doctors had released him, or he had decided it was time to come back to work and released himself. He had had his machine parked at Thugny, near the rest-home at Rethel. No sooner had he checked in and then said hello to his fellow officers while the rest of us cheered, that he went straight back to the office and said he was tired of sitting and wanted to fly. He was given an Artillery-Spotting mission near Varennes-en-Argonne. He chose Lt Müller as his second, and to my amazement asked me if I wanted to be his third. Of course I said yes.
1425: We took off for what turned out to be an uneventful mission, but oh so exciting just because of the circumstances. I hope I get to fly with him again, but then so does every pilot in the unit. Who knows? 2 hours 17 minutes."

Corrigan Aujla writes: "0602: What a day! Took off with Lt Harvey-Kelly on a scout over Phalempin. While we were there Capt Williamson slapped me on the head and pointed. A thousand feet below us were two German aeroplanes! We tried to get the Lts attention, but he and his observer didn’t see us waving, or the enemy. Finally couldn’t stand it. I dove down to them and pulled up below the rear machine, and Capt Williamson opened up with the Lewis. It’s not easy trying to keep pace with another machine when you’re in front of him. Capt Williamson emptied both his drums at the Hun, but to no effect. By the time we got back home it was pouring rain and the afternoon flights were canceled. We kept the boys entertained with our antics until Major Lewis Called us on the carpet. Even that was a ruse. He just wanted to hear the story without anyone else around. Lt Harvey-Kelly was a bit unhappy, not with us for breaking ranks, but for himself for missing out on the fun when it was right under his nose. Well, we’ve finally seen a Hun aeroplane up close, and we’re not that impressed. 1 hour 56 minutes."

Filimor Hance writes: "0606: Offensive patrol south of Roulers with Lt Barault. 1 hour 57 minutes.
More bad news. Garros is missing. He failed to return from an afternoon patrol and there is no news as of yet."

Dugan Vystavel writes: "0656: Trench Mapping again, with Lt Griffiths. 2 hours 21 minutes.
1132: Artillery Spotting with Edgar Lehman. 1 hour 50 minutes.

Noel Kay writes: "0715: Another flight to Buzancy. We got a good look and there doesn’t seem to be any activity there at all. Just as we were turning home the engine started acting up again. Not a bearing this time, but a clanking sound. It didn’t seem to affect our flight at all, but until we were back over our own lines we were in constant fear of it quitting on us. We not only made it back to safe territory, but we actually managed to land at Senard without trouble. It turns out one of the piston rings had broken. There was no real danger but we’re still glad to be home. 1 hour 23 minutes."

Lennart Altendorf writes: "Still too wet to fly."

Some people are born stupid. I've had to work hard my whole life to get this way. I'm proud of the job I've done