Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Last time I checked, in America, not California, you are free to do as you wish so long as you aren't harming someone else. Or do you seriously think we should make it a crime to partake in risky activities such as rock climbing? Because if you do, you're welcome to leave this country. I don't want you here.

Lol, too dar(m)n bad. You're stuck with me neaner

Originally Posted by F4UDash4

Last time I checked, in America, not California, you are free to do as you wish so long as you aren't harming someone else.

Ahem.... motorcycle helmet laws....

F4U gave one example but we live with several more every day. Just because we (collective we) agree they are acceptable doesn't mean others agree but we punish them with fines until they come to our (once again collective our) point of view or with jail time if they continue to defy those agreed upon standards of society.

True, but those are questionable at best.

You're an idiot if you ride without a helmet, but I know of plenty who would prefer the option to wear one to be their own.

Which is the point you just made with your post. You think wearing a helmet is necessary for safety sake, "You're an idiot if you ride without a helmet", but you concede that several people don't necessarily agree with that opinion of yours and that they feel it should be a personal option and not something regulated by you and your personal biases or the State (meaning all Govt .entities that can enact laws that impact your personal freedoms). Helmet wearing has been legislated in several if not all States and you will pay a fine or some penalty if you are found to have broken those laws which does not in any way conflict with my statement that the State makes laws to regulate our lives every day and this form of extreme risk taking (my opinion) has not been legislated because there are too few people doing it to cause the State financial concern.

I personally don't give a rats behind about his rock climbing. I am perfectly fine with anyone expressing their personal freedom as long as those expressions of personal freedoms don't impact me physically or financially. Someone that had an unexpected life event that renders them incapable of taking care of themselves expecting the State to help them is a whole lot different to me than someone taking risks every day and then when it bites them in the rear expecting the State to take care of them. One scenario is probably not going to have been avoidable but the extreme risk taking example is definitely avoidable so expecting the State to cover those expenses incurred by those actions is not palatable to me. However, my opinion does not matter in the long run if it conflicts with the State's point of view deeming something acceptable behavior as a society.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum