There is also the suggestion floating around that they should have reduced the power to reduce the speed. I am no pilot, but I am tempted to think that this is not standard procedure in the climb phase after the start while the stick is rattling and warning of a potential stall condition. It's easy for us in hindsight to say it's clear that it's the "MCAS bug" causing them the troubles.

For the pilots the trouble started with the shaking stick at 5:38.44, MCAS only started to play its stab trim game after flaps got retracted and 5secs after the auto-pilot was disabled at 5:40:00. At 5:40:35 they used the cut-out switch - took them (just or loooong?) 35secs from the first MCAS trim action to them switching the stab trim off. And all the while the pilot has a shaking stick telling him about a (potential) stall risk. The next ~100s they maintain a slight climb by pulling the controls but also continuously build up speed. At 5:41:20 an overspeed clacker started. That's the point where you can start to argue that they should adjust the power settings. But what's a safe reduced power setting when you still try to climb but have a shaking stick telling you about a stall risk and without stab control? I hope a pilot that went through plenty of training has a good answer to that question - I am no pilot, I don't frown ... What do they teach in a simulator training in such a situation?! I wouldn't consider trying to go back to the airport the worst possible idea.

See, I'd love to give them reverting the cutout to get back stab control if they went ham applying a lot of uptrim - what I don't understand is why they do so but then give only very little trim input. I mean, they gave significant trim input from 0.4 to 2.3 units to revert the 2nd MCAS action, why now just 0.2 units...

Last edited by WhoCares; 04/09/19 06:52 PM.