Originally Posted by WhoCares
Originally Posted by oldgrognard
Over-reliance on automation is not just restricted to the actual flying of the airplane. While I can see how this happened, it demonstrates how we can get trapped operating in a bubble trusting the system.

https://www.kcci.com/article/airplane-mistakenly-lands-in-scotland-instead-of-germany/26931138

What puzzles me about this one, okay, the carrier filed a flight to Edinburgh instead of Duesseldorf. Pilots + cabin crew arrive at the airport, get their plane and flight plan assigned, and everything points to a flight to Edinburgh. But why does the boarding still treat it as a flight to Duesseldorf? I mean, the passengers would not have boarded the plane if the displays and announcements had told them it's a flight to Edinburgh, no?!?!

With respect to the MAX crashes I wonder when the MCAS really interferes and how that is related to stall warnings etc. Okay, MCAS only "sees" one AoA sensor and when that shows risk of a stall, MCAS reacts. But what about other stall warning systems that take both AoA sensors into account, and in the crash scenario see significantly different AoA readings? What kind of indications/warnings/alarms are triggered in such a case?
Seems the crashed planes had no AoA readout error indicators or AoA dials (said in an article above that those were optional, but now will become standard for the MAX).

Actually. the fact that this system is for stall prevention is a common misconception. MCAS has nothing to do with stall prevention in the traditional sense. It is designed to provide a linear increase in stick force with higher angles of attack, as the certification requirements of commercial airliners includes an increase in stick force as AoA increases. The larger nacelles of the MAX provide lift at increased angles of attack and that lift, being forward of the CG, contributes to a decrease in stick force required to further increase AoA, rather than an increasing force as per the certification requirements.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!