Lou it looks as the 5th Minnesota Volunteer Regiment spent most of the War Between the States fighting in the Western Theater with on of my favorite Regiments the 11th Missouri Volunteer Regiment. They were in many of the same battles here in the west. The major one being Vicksburg and the resulting battles before and after Vicksburg. They also went on the Red River Campaign and the campaign to capture Mobile. A very good couple of Regiments. My favorite regiment of the Civil War is from your state, but it fought on the Eastern Theater. That would be the 1st Minnesota Volunteer Regiment. Several years I got to experience one of my things on my bucket list and walked down the field at Gettysburg where they charged off of Cemetery Ridge to brunt the attack of Wilcox's Brigade. I can only imagine the courage it took to drive into a brigade sized charge with 262 or somewhere in that amount of men. The odds where better than 3 to 1 against them. I often wonder what drives ordinary people to become so heroic in times of great need. You have told me of living on land that was deeded to a Civil War Vet by Grant you are certainly a good steward of the land he fought for. Thanks for sharing.
John

Last edited by Mr_Dirt; 02/23/19 02:13 AM.