9 January 1915

Verdun
Noel Kay writes: "We were told yesterday that on the first clear day we would be moving again – back to Verdun! We’re going home! It looks like the weather will be good enough tomorrow, so we made our preparations to fly early. They want us moving in the dark so as to keep our whereabouts concealed from any possible prying enemy eyes.
0513: We took off well before dawn, and headed south-south-east. Capitaine Provillard had arranged that after each turn he made he would fire a flare to let us know where he was. Over Compiegne we headed due south to stay well away from the lines. Near Soissons we turned east-southeast for awhile, then due east to Verdun. We arrived there with perfect timing, about twenty minutes after the sun rose. I’m horrified to see what has become of the city in the three months we’ve been gone. The enemy artillery has smashed the north side into rubble. The rest of the town looks okay, but it’s a real shock seeing our first home town in such a state. 3 hours 9 minutes.

Saint-Omer
Dugan Vystavel writes: "0807: Accompanied Capt Mapplebeck on a photo-recce mission over Ledegen. 2 hours 9 minutes."

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "1015: Took off to accompany Capt Corwin and Lt Robert on a photo mission. Engine started spewing oil as we were circling for altitude. I put her down safely just half a mile from Merville. The other plane completed the mission safely alone. It will be a couple of days before our plane can be hauled back to Gonneham and repaired. 10 minutes.

Roesbrugge
Filimor Hance writes: "1453: Routine patrol. Once again I had the last flight of the day. Landed just before sunset.1 hour 6 minutes."

Pontfaverger is still fogged in.

Some people are born stupid. I've had to work hard my whole life to get this way. I'm proud of the job I've done