6 January 1915

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "0845: Robbie and I flew again together. Since we have the only armed machines in the squadron we were assigned to orbit an enemy airfield near Douai for awhile to see what happened. Nothing did. Meanwhile two more of our fellows went down to Paris to pick up their new Moranes, and now we have four! 2 hours 24 minutes."

Saint-Omer
Dugan Vystavel writes: "1005: Followed Capt Mapplebeck on another artillery spot, this time near Ledegen. Forced down by engine trouble. Landed near the lines. 1 hour 22 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "1230: Clear day. Routine patrol. Little activity. 1 hour 8 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "Our new Kommandant, Hptm Ludwig Schäfer, arrived today. Hptm Streccius was due to depart on the 1st but put off leaving until he could show the new leader around.
1304: Assigned to accompany Ltn Boelcke on a Photo mission. I'm not sure what happened, but I managed to crash on take-off. Neither Hptm Straub nor I were injured, and the machine received only minor damage and will be ready to fly tomorrow. I received a stern warning. To top it off the other two machines couldn't find the target. Not a good way to greet the new Kommandant. I understand that Ltn Boelcke is upset he wasn't allowed to fly with his brother this time, but it was pointed out that Hptm Boelcke is not qualified on the camera. Hopefully the next mission will be better."

Roesbrugge
Filimor Hance writes: "1354: Beautiful sunny winter day. Routine patrol. Heavy artillery near Zerkegem. Engine failed over Diksmuide. Managed to set it down safely on our side of the lines. 44 minutes."

Some people are born stupid. I've had to work hard my whole life to get this way. I'm proud of the job I've done