I have been playing the air phase for turn one of the WitW's tutorial Operation Husky over and over while I learn the GUI. I have the game setting to full combat detail and the info data delays long enough to digest all of the info. If I commit all of the air forces available, it is over one hour to watch the air phase. I have to disable my flaky wireless card of this box, or I can assure you I will get a blue screen before the end of the phase. I want to say how impressed I am with the micro manageability of this simulation and the ability to let the computer resolve areas you wish to be reactionary

smile I am a rivet counter. A rivet counter is not limited to graphics. A rivet counter looks at every data point that interests them. With that being said, I am a knob when it comes to long term strategy. My comments may show frustration and/or desires, but they should not be read as insulting or expertise. I was naive enough to think I could write a AA report. I have come to the conclusion the the scope of this game is far above my ability to give a report "after". I can report as I go down this road of thinking. Having watched the tutorials and attempted the air half of the first turn multiple times, I can say that this game is a rivet counters dream.

Here is the progress of my AAR before I realized it was beyond my scope. I had to edit out many complaints of the game as I found where the GUI can do what I thought it could not, and I did not correct the spelling. I can add the pics if someone thinks it is of value:
War in the west, air operations.
Plaease correct me if I have a wrong opinion.

Note: when playing the game in windowed mode, you must move the mouse to the border of your screen to slide the game map. You can center the map on the current mouse pointer position by right clicking the mouse. You can zoom the map in and out with the mouse wheel.
The option to create unique folders for each scenario start is nice, but a pain when poking at the GUI and restarting multiple times. I know, read the manual ;P If you load the sceanrio multiple times, you must rename the optional save or have a large number of folders created.

Since I am learing, I am starting with the intrductory scenario "Operation Husky. I watched the tutorial videos several times while making the same attempts to start my first turn. I assume the tutorials for air and amphemious combat are good if you have already mastered War in the East or read the entire game manual. I am the type who prefers to sit in a dark room and poke at the GUI. I do not recomend this approch for such a thurogh, stragitic simulation.

Preperation to start the scenario is easy, watch and follow the tutorial videos. I prefer to change the air priorities. Again, this is covered in the tutorial. But, if you look at what is created then you will find it is far from optimal. It created all air operation around a specific grid location. I would not question the AI if the location covered the landing zones were better.
Createing any new priorties is where I ran into problems with the GUI. If you change the prorities, the execute command is removed until you "Set Air Directives" again. You can close the window or select summary to move to the air planning phase.
pic 1
Selecting summary lists the air directives created. You can go back to the previous screen by selecting the Go To Automatic Air Directive Creation link. Closing the summary screen or selecting any of the air forces will mve you to the air planning phase.
pic3
Your air forces are listed on the RH side of the screen. Clicking any of the commands brings up there current air directives.
pic2
If you click on the forces icon (outlined in the screen shot with red) you will return to the previous screen. Your clickable links are highlighted in light blue. Your current directives are shown to the left of the forces icon. You can add a directive by selecting the directive begining with an asteric (highlighted in pink). The details of the selected directive is listed below the list of directives. This is where you can edit the directives. Selecting the target data (highlighted in green) will clear the display and allow you to select a new target hex. The flight path is shown as a blueish line (highlighted in light blue). You can change waypoints by first selecting the waypoint (highlighted in yellow) an then selecting a new hex.
pic 4

From here, I have decided that the amphibious landing in Sicily can not take place on the first turn. The best I could do at manipulating the air directives was a 60:40 advantage of air combat. I want to delay the delay the landings for a 3 turns ( A guess). I realize that will have to inflict damage to infrastructure and resources greater then the delay will enable the Axis to reinforce the theater. Please realize it may take me a day or two planning these air directives. My goal is to delay the landing by less then 7 turns, while playing with fog of war active.]

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."