Perhaps it was just me, but since I started with WOFF/OFF I usually fly German or British. I rarely fly American or French. But with my most recent career, I thought I'd explore the French experience. I'm glad that I did.

I began my career in the Vosges on 20 September 1915. I was flying a Nieuport 10 C1. It's like an Bebe, but with a smaller ammo load. Opposition down in the mountains was minimal. On most sorties I saw nothing. On a few I encountered an Aviatik. I think I saw maybe two German scouts--some iteration of the Eindecker. I did not shoot anything down. I helped, several times, taking down Aviatiks,
and once a Fokker. But no credits.

I did take down a few balloons. And after that I started carrying rockets all the time and if I didn't see anything, I'd go balloon hunting. (I fly with a house rule that I won't request a transfer unless I've accumulated five kills, been promoted, or received a medal.) So I started killing gas bags, to earn my five.

Nevertheless, I learned something flying the 10 C1 that has helped me in the game. Since it's hard to bring down an Aviatik with a Lewis and a small load of ammo, I started working with my flight mates to kill these beasts. I learned to attack simultaneously with other friendlies. Hey, if the gunner is firing at your buddy, he can't also fire at you. And, gradually, I started getting credit for a few kills. This was a lesson that has stood me in good stead in 1916 when I started to run across Rolands. You usually outnumber them, so I take my time, work them down to the hard deck, and then go in with a buddy.

Eventually, I moved to Verdun, and then Flanders with N65. I received a new Bebe, and then a 16, and finally a 17 Vickers, which is what I'm flying now on 1 October 1916. I've flown 180 sorties and have 49 kills. And why not? during my entire year at the front, I've held a maneuver and/or/speed advantage over German scouts. During the Fokker Scourge, I was downing Eindeckers in my 10 C1, 11, 16, or 17. Nor do the new Halberstadts, Fokker biplanes, or even Albatros DIs and DIIs outclass the Nieuport 17. I'm faster than anything until I see an Albatros DV, later in 1917. By then, of course, I'll be in a even faster Spad VII.

For all the focus on the Fokker Scourge, in WOFFworld at least, we should be talking about a "Nieuport Scourge." The French rule the skies!

It's taken me a while to get out of the habit of not throttling up when I peel over into a dive. (Nowi, you're not driving a Focke-Wulf!) But I've learned to love my Nieuport 17. No wonder Ball didn't want to give his up.

So, if you're just getting started and you're looking to start a career with the potential of longevity, FLY FRENCH!

Nowi

Attached Files Dive.jpg

Nowi