21 October 1914

Saint-Omer, No 3 Squadron
Corrigan Aujla writes: "0821: We made an experimental run today. As part of the coordinated patrol plan No 3 Squadron will be covering the area from Diksmuide down to Bailleul. We started a run at 6,000 feet to avoid Archie fire, and slowly descended through the cloud cover to 2,500 feet. Nobody shot at us anyway, but the recommendation for now seems to be only flying on clear days, so we can be high enough to guarantee a safe run. 1 hour 37 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "0842: Another patrol from the coast down to Diksmuide. 1 hour 1 minute."

Saint-Omer, No 4 Squadron
Ries Meismer writes: "0910: We have been set up in a rotation to patrol distinct areas, giving the maximum coverage possible. Our part of the lines is between Bailleul and Loos. We made our first flights in that role today. 1 hour 21 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "0925: We've been transferred not for rest but to get us into the fight! High Command has organized a plan for squadrons to start flying patrols up and down the lines based on sector. Our patrol area is from Lens south to Arras. When we arrived on station there was an artillery exchange going on just to the north of us. We didn't get to watch as our patrol took us to the south. 55 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "Still fogged in. We had a couple more games today. Ltn Boelcke was back to watch, and had two more officers with him."

Some people are born stupid. I've had to work hard my whole life to get this way. I'm proud of the job I've done