20 October 1914

Saint-Pol-Sur -Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "1333: Fog lifted just long enough to take off. Sgt Pelliers, the camp cook, made sure we had bottles of hot coffee and sandwiches for the flight. We flew west to Soissons, northwest to Amiens, then turned north to Doullens. Arrived at Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise after a flight of 2 hours 38 minutes.

Saint-Omer, No 4 Squadron
Ries Meismer writes: "1435: Flew over to Boulogne, then down to Hesdin, then back home. 1 hour 20 minutes. Time in aircraft: 78.17 hours."

Saint-Omer, No 3 Squadron
Corrigan Aujla writes: "1536: Late afternoon flight over to Boulogne, back up to Calais, then up the coast to Dunkerque and back to Saint-Omer. Landed just as it was getting dark."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "1511: Still following the same plan - from our new field up the coast to Dunkerque and Niewpoort, then down the lines to Diksmuide, then home. There was a heavy bombardment going on by the British against the Germans, with no reply. After only a week of artillery fire the land is starting to look like a desert. The town of Diksmuide appears to be abandoned, and many of the houses are levelled. No infantry activity. 1 hour 16 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "The fog is a little less today, but still too much to fly. We played some more football. Ltn Boelcke was at the field, working personally with the mechanics on his machine. He came over and watched our game for a few minutes, then went back to work. The rest of the day was spent reading, playing cards and chatting with each other.

Some people are born stupid. I've had to work hard my whole life to get this way. I'm proud of the job I've done